LBDC | Lawyers’ Business Development Club |
London │ Dublin │ Dubai │ Boston │ New York | San Francisco
LBDC: Summer Talk
Boston College’s Global Leadership Institute
“Martin is super and an excellent ambassador for IDA and Ireland”
So said one of our guests after hearing Martin Shanahan’s (CEO of IDA Ireland) summer Talk to the LBDC in Dublin on Tuesday, 14 July 2015.
The IDA (Industrial Development Authority) is Ireland’s inward investment promotion agency responsible for the attraction and development of foreign investment in Ireland. IDA Ireland has worked to bring Google, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and a whole host of companies to Ireland.
A big thank you to Martin for being so generous in sharing his career journey with us and telling us about the terrific work of IDA Ireland. We had a huge attendance with standing-room only.
Sponsor: Boston College’s Global Leadership Insitute
Our lunch-time event was generously sponsored by Boston College’s Global Leadership Institute and hosted at the stunning Stephen’s Green Hibernian Club. Special thanks to the Global Leadership Institute’s Dr Robert Mauro for joining us from Boston.
Photos; LBDC Summer Talk
You may be interested to see some photos from our special summer event with Martin Shanahan.
Accolades for Martin Shanahan’s Talk
You may be interested to read some accolades for Martin’s Talk:
Twitter (some tweets during our event)
- “Martin Shanahan #CEO @IDAIreland giving us a fascinating Talk”
- “Standing room only for Martin Shanahan @LawyersBDC @IDAIreland @GLIatBC #Ireland”
- “Great to hear Martin Shanahan chat about his career and @IDAIreland at the @Lawyersbdc networking lunch.”
- “Attending a very interesting talk by Martin Shanahan, CEO of @IDAIreland with @Lawyersbdc”
- “@GLIatBC @LawyersBDC @IDAIreland standing room only. Lawyers’ Business Development Club Martin Shanahan, IDA Ireland”
- “Martin Shanahan (c) @IDAIreland with Colin Carroll Lawyers’ Business network with @Robert_Mauro @BC_Irish_Inst #Dublin”
- “Great Talk today @LawyersBDC. Well done for hosting.”
- “Wonderful to partner with @LawyersBDC & @IDAIreland to discuss #FDI business development #Ireland and U.S. markets.”
- “Colin, another great success! Well done – great to see you and such a large crowd for a very interesting talk and lots of challenging questions. Every success with the US west coast chapter – Hopefully see you at the next event! In the meantime, have a good summer. Bye for now.”
- “Another outstanding success today, well done! Martin is some impressive guy.”
- “Well done Colin for organising it. Your courage in taking this initiative forward and giving it real life at a substantial level is v impressive. Best man’s speech this weekend? Good luck with that!”
- “Thanks Colin – I really enjoyed it – Martin is inspiring and so modest! I had to run off to a meeting so apologies for not staying after. I would love to come to the LBDC session with Louise Phelan in September. Hope you have a nice break lined up and keep up the good work!
- “SUPER to see you and to see so many people at your talk, it was so well run and organised and my boss was very impressed!”
- “Well done on organising the event earlier in the week. Martin is super and an excellent ambassador for IDA and Ireland. Let me know when you are in town next time as it would be great to catch up for coffee.”
- “Just a quick note to say thank you for the invitation to Martin’s talk today. I did not have time allotted in my schedule today but felt compelled to go and was delighted I did! What a wonderful ambassador and impressive individual, very inspiring. Thank you again and I look forward very much to the next session with Louise Phelan. I will continue to spread the word about LBD club.”
- “Thanks again Colin for the invite today to the LBDC event. It was lovely to meet you in person and also get a feel for the LBDC itself. Well done too on “stalking” Martin Shanahan – he was very impressive and informative on the IDA. Looking forward to future events.”
- “Well done Colin, great talk and super turnout. Nice to put a face to the name! I’ll make sure our colleagues know about the NYC, London and San Francisco events coming up.”
- “Martin’s talk was very enjoyable, thank you for the invite. I hope to make the next event in September.”
- “I really enjoyed the talk. It’s a pity we didn’t get to chat but perhaps at the next event. I’ve already sent my RSVP for the PayPal event, but you might just confirm. Thanks”
- “I thoroughly enjoyed the LBDC talk – it was really excellent. Very nice to see you and hope to catch up with you again at another event.”
- “Colin, belated thanks for organising yet another fantastic event. [ ] and I thought Martin extremely interesting and engaging. Sorry that we did not get to catch up on the day – next time hopefully! Enjoy the rest of the summer.”
- “Really enjoyed the talk today. Martin Shanahan was a really good speaker to have had onboard. Delighted that I got to make it in the end! Sorry to miss you- though I’m sure you were kept very busy with all your guests. I’d have liked to stay on longer- but had to dash off. Hope you enjoy some down time over your break while home.”
- “I just wanted to say it was lovely to meet with you today. I thought today’s event was excellent. I really enjoyed it and thought Martin was a fantastic speaker. It was really interesting. Thanks again.”
- “Hi Colin, it was very enjoyable and a very informative talk from Martin. I look forward to seeing Louise at the next LBDC event. Many thanks again for organising the event last Tuesday. Good look with your other upcoming events in London and the US.
- “I just wanted to congratulate you on a fantastically run event today. I am certainly looking forward to the next event in September with Louise Phelan. Well done again.”
Martin D. Shanahan is CEO of IDA Ireland. IDA (Industrial Development Authority) is Ireland’s inward investment promotion agency responsible for the attraction and development of foreign investment in Ireland. Martin took up this position on the 1st September 2014.
Prior to this, Martin was Chief Executive of Forfás – Ireland’s policy advisory board for enterprise, trade, science, technology and innovation. Martin worked in a number of senior executive roles in Forfás since joining the agency in 2005. Martin has been to the forefront of the development of enterprise and innovation policy in Ireland including leading, at official level, the development of the Government’s Action Plan for Jobs between 2011 and 2014. Martin has represented Ireland at EU and International fora.
Before joining Forfás, Martin worked in Fáilte Ireland (the National Tourism Development Authority) for the professional development of the tourism sector. Earlier in his career Martin held a number of senior management positions in the private sector in tourism and hospitality.
Martin holds an M.Res (Educational Research) from Lancaster University, a M.Sc. and H.Dip from Dublin Institute of Technology and a B.Sc (Mgmt) from Trinity College Dublin. He has undertaken executive education in economics at Oxford University and at the Kennedy School of Government in Harvard.
Martin is a board member of IDA Ireland and previously has been a board member of Forfás and the Management Advisory Committee of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise, and Innovation. Martin has also been a member of Ireland’s National Competitiveness Council, the Advisory Council for Science, Technology and Innovation, and Ireland’s Expert Group on Future Skills Needs. Martin is a member of the Institute of Directors and a Fellow of the Irish Hospitality Institute.
Irish Times Interview with Martin Shanahan CEO
On Friday 1 May, 2015, the Irish Times interviewed Martin Shanahan. If you are interested you can read the interview here:
Some News Stories about IDA Ireland
- “A seismic shift for Dublin: how Google was persuaded to set up shop in Ireland”
- “Ireland’s answer to Silicon Valley”
- “The IDA’s crusade to bring Facebook and Twitter to Dublin“
The Global Leadership Institute at Boston College offers dynamic programming for professionals looking to expand their areas of expertise and meet other like-minded individuals.
Through our custom designed and open enrollment programming, the Global Leadership Institute empowers you to reflect on your career, connect with influential leaders in the field, enhance your skills, and learn cutting edge techniques.
The Global Leadership Institute: Dublin Campus
Like EMC, Apple, Google, Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter and so many others, Boston College chose to make Dublin its European headquarters.
At our beautiful location on St. Stephen’s Green in the heart of Dublin, Boston College faculty offer the same high quality academic sessions our participants have come to expect in GLI programs.
Participants in GLI Europe programing will engage in short, weekend programs that are suited for the lives of busy professionals. This intensive program will ensure an efficient and educationally benefical experience.
We at the Global Leadership Institute are experts at designing custom programs to serve the needs of our students and partner organizations.
We closely follow trends in domestic and global social, political, and economic circumstances to identify ways in which we can help our participants achieve their professional goals. Working across a wide range of industries and businesses, we create engaging programs that connect our participants with leaders both in and out of the classroom.
The Executive Course program list for 2015-2016 will be available shortly.
I am delighted that LBDC members will receive a discount on the above programs. If you are interested in receiving the program list, please feel free to email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Robert Mauro
As director of the GLI, Dr. Mauro is responsible for delivering certificate programs for executives at Boston College in Chestnut Hill and GLI offices in Dublin and Dubai.
Before coming to Boston College Dr. Mauro completed his PhD (The Practice of Ideology, 2009) in Political Science and undertook a post-doctoral research fellowship in the Institute for British-Irish Studies (IBIS) at University College Dublin (UCD). While there he worked on a project, titled Breaking the Patterns of Conflict: The Irish State, the British Dimension, and the Northern Ireland Conflict, a comprehensive oral history of policy makers involved with Northern Ireland peace process from the Sunningdale Agreement to the St. Andrews Agreement.
Dr. Mauro has extensive experience in university administration and a deep interest in entrepreneurial practices, which he has deployed over the first year of the GLI’s operations. During the past five years as director of the Irish Institute, Dr. Mauro designed and implemented professional education programs for developing and senior leaders in Ireland and Northern Ireland. These programs hosted over 600 participants from fields as diverse as business and innovation, policy, science and technology, and bureaucracy.
In addition to his work at Boston College, Dr. Mauro is active in ensuring that Boston College is well connected to the community. He is past-President of Irish Network Boston, a Director of the Wild Geese Network of Irish Scientists, a board advisor to both The Frederick Douglass- Daniel O’Connell Project the Gaelic Players Association New England. Dr. Mauro received a “Top 40 Under 40” in Irish-America award in 2013; and in 2015 was named to the Top 100 Irish Academics list.
You may be interested to know about some of our exciting upcoming LBDC Talks in
- New York
- Dublin &
- San Francisco
More details: Bjarne Tellmann guest speaker at the LBDC
Guest Speaker: Ricardo A. Anzaldua, Executive Vice President & General Counsel of MetLife Inc.
More details: Ricardo Anzaldua guest speaker at the LBDC
Guest Speaker: Louise Phelan, Vice President of Global Operations for Europe, MENA, PayPal
More details: Louise Phelan guest speaker at the LBDC
Contact: Colin Carroll
My email is:
Take care and hope to see you soon.
LBDC | Lawyers’ Business Development Club |
Telephone: 0044 7917 301 070
The LBDC is sponsored by:
Global Sponsor: CityJet