LBDC | Lawyers’ Business Development Club |
London │ Dublin │ Dubai │ Boston │ New York | San Francisco
Est’d London 2011
Previous Guest Speakers include:
The Chairman of Goldman Sachs International | The Deputy Worldwide Chairman of Saatchi & Saatchi | The CEO of PayPal (MENA) | The CEO of Hogan Lovells | The CEO of O2 / Telefonica | The CEO of Saatchi & Sa atchi (MENA) | The CEO of PwC (Ireland) | The CEO of Bank of Ireland (UK) | The CEO of Sunderland FC | The CEO of the Law Society of England & Wales |
The GC of MetLife Inc. | The GC of Pearson Plc | The GC of Manchester United FC | The GC of the Intercontinental Hotels Group | The GC of The Weir Group plc | The GC of Network Rail | The GC of Carillion plc |
on 13 January, 2016
at the stunning Innholders’ Hall, London
Liz Walker, General Counsel BT Global Services was our wonderful guest speaker at the LBDC | Lawyers’ Business Development Club | yesterday, 13 January 2016. LIZ kindly gave us a fascinating Talk about her personal career journey.
“Liz was fantastic and very inspiring”.
“Hi Colin, was a very interesting talk yesterday. Liz’ positivity and humour was very entertaining and a great way to start the day.
[Comments from our guests at yesterday’s TALK]
Accolades for Liz Walkers’ TALK
A number of our guests dropped us a note yesterday to say they enjoyed Liz’s TALK. You may be interested to read some of their comments:
- Colin, another inspiring Talk, thanks very much for organising it. The LBDC seems to be going from strength to strength. Best of luck with your event in San Fran next week.
- Thank you very much for yet another great event. I really enjoyed Liz’s honest and open approach. She was very inspirational. Shame I had to shoot off but had a meeting to get to unfortunately. Do let me know if you are around the Mayfair area at any stage as it would be good to catch up for a coffee or spot of lunch. Thanks.
- Colin, thanks, great Talk yesterday. I think Liz is absolutely right that we reach our potential only when we go with our instincts and be ourselves. Speak soon.
- Colin, thank you for your invitation. I thought Liz was excellent. I will try to come to the next session and will also spread the word.
- Liz was fantastic and very inspiring. I would love to join you in Dublin for your Talk with the CEO of Facebook but alas I will be stuck in the office here! Keep up the great work.
- Hi Colin, was a very interesting talk yesterday. Liz’ positivity and humour was very entertaining and a great way to start the day. I will be attending the next LBDC event. I worked briefly with Orla Muldoon in [ ]. Would be lovely to meet her again and hear her story.
- Hi Colin, thanks very much for inviting me to this morning’s event in the Great Hall. I went along and thought it was an excellent talk. Apologies for not saying thanks to you in person – you were speaking other guests at the end so I didn’t want to interrupt.
- Hi Colin – it was a very enjoyable breakfast meeting.
- It was a great event. Liz was really good and my colleagues really enjoyed it. See you at the next one. Thanks.
- Hi Colin, thank you for the seminar this morning it was really interesting, unfortunately I had to rush off at the end. I would be very keen to attend future events, so please keep me on the distribution list. Many thanks.
- Dear Colin, just a quick note to say thanks for the invitation to this morning’s presentation. I thought it was very interesting, Liz touched on a number of important points and it was useful to hear her insights. It’s taken me a while to get around to attending one of these, but I will be sure to come to future events.
- Lovely to meet you yesterday, Colin. I really enjoyed the talk so thank you so much for organising it. As I mentioned, I would very much like to hear the Facebook talk too if that were possible without going to Dublin. Will you have a Webinar? I am afraid I won’t make your next London Talk in Feb – it sounds great though. I am copying in [ ], the GC of [ ] and [ ], the GC of [ ] as I know they very much enjoyed yesterday’s talk and would be interested in other talks.
- Thanks for the great talk today @Lawyersbdc and Liz – and also for the insightful answer on my attitudes to women in business question!” [comment via Twitter]
Liz leads Global Services legal, regulatory, governance and compliance activities across UK, Europe, USA, Latin America and Asia and her team is based around the globe in key jurisdictions.
The team delivers practical, commercially focused and cost-effective solutions enabling business while supporting and protecting the interests and assets of BT globally using a mix of in-house and external resources. In addition Liz is responsible for shaping, implementing and driving the global legal vision and strategy. As well as being a member of the Global Services Leadership Team, Liz represents Global Services on the Legal, Governance and Compliance Leadership Team.
Liz joined BT in 1991 and began her career as a Commercial manager supporting the UK and global businesses. This included spending time in Atlanta, US with BT’s first international outsourcing company, Syncordia, and then BT Germany.
On returning to the UK Liz was responsible for the legal and commercial support to global deals in Global Services. In 2009 she was appointed VP and Chief Counsel for EMEA & Latin America, running a multi-national, multi-jurisdictional team of lawyers, regulatory specialists and contract managers covering all aspects of the legal, regulatory and compliance needs for BT in Europe, Middle East, Africa and Latin America.
In March 2012 Liz took on the role of VP Organisational Health working across the globe to drive the transformation of Global Services into a healthier organisation.
In June 2014 Liz became VP, CEO Office to set up and run a small team delivering efficiency, effectiveness, governance and compliance across the GSLT.
Prior to BT, Liz worked as a Commercial Executive in a UK WAN business.
Liz is a qualified solicitor and a member of the Supreme Court of England and Wales. Her interests include Scouting and working with young people, particularly on an international level. She has recently been appointed County Commissioner for Hertfordshire Scouts.
Reed Smith represents many of the world’s leading companies in complex litigation and other high-stakes disputes, cross-border and other strategic transactions, and crucial regulatory matters.
With lawyers from coast-to-coast in the United States, as well as in Europe, Asia and the Middle East, Reed Smith is known for its experience across a broad array of industry sectors. Reed Smith counsels 13 of the world’s 15 largest commercial and savings banks; 25 of the world’s 35 largest oil and gas companies; and the world’s three largest pharmaceutical distribution and wholesale companies. Reed Smith’s shipping practice has been designated among the most preeminent in the world, and its advertising law practice is regarded as among the legal industry’s finest.
Our thanks to Thomas Ince for sponsoring our exclusive LBDC event.
Thomas is a partner and Deputy Practice Group Leader of the Employment Group, with responsibility for Europe and the Middle East. Thomas practises all aspects of contentious and non-contentious employment law.
Over the next few months, we will have some wonderful LBDC Talks taking place in:
It would be great to see you at our next TALK.